All my Paleo and grain-free peeps, stop what you’re doing right now. And my vegans and breakfast lovers or whoever you are, just stop.
This recipe here is a total game changer. If you’re like me and have an eternal affinity for oatmeal (but a rude stomach who doesn’t feel the same), you need to try this carrot cake Paleo porridge. Shredded carrots and toasted coconut flakes imitate the perfect, chewy texture of steel-cut oatmeal while remaining totally grain-free, while ginger, cinnamon, and juicy raisins transform this porridge into carrot cake-y goodness. Toss in some warm cinnamon apples, this breakfast is practically dessert in a bowl, but full of healthy fats and a serving of veggies to kick off the day.
You can serve this delicious breakfast one of two ways – either layer the apples and porridge in a glass or mason jar….
…topped with some extra coconut flakes…
…or mix it all up in a bowl. I topped mine with a little bit of extra coconut milk to make mine extra-creamy and decadent.
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup toasted coconut flakes
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 1 and ½ teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 medium apple, diced (I used granny smith)
- Optional toppings:
- Toasted coconut
- Chopped nuts
- Almond butter
- In food processor, combine shredded carrots, coconut flakes, coconut milk, 1 cup water, coconut flour, chia seeds, ginger, honey, and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Pulse until combined, scraping down the sides as needed. Stir in raisins and set aside.
- Place apple in small pan, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and a few tablespoons of water (up to ¼ cup, depending on how juicy your apple is). Cook about 5 minutes over medium-high heat, until apple is soft and most of the water has evaporated. There should be a little bit of cinnamon-y sauce at the bottom of the pan. Pour apple mixture into bowl and set aside.
- Pour porridge mixture into same small pan and warm over medium heat (about 3-5 minutes).
- To serve: Layer in glass or mason jar alternating between cinnamon apples and porridge OR pour porridge into bowl and top with cinnamon apples.
- Top with additional toppings as desired, and enjoy!
Be sure to tag me on Instagram #odessadarling if you make this! I’d love to like and comment on your pictures 🙂