Spring is finally here! Woop woop!
I don’t know about you, but I’m ready. Give me all the sunshine and daffodils and fresh fruit and longer days, yes please! Yesterday, it was sunshining all day and when I got off work at 5:30, it was 75° out! In Washington! In March! If you live in my hood, you know what I mean when that is something to be super stoked about.
I doubt that it’s just me who’s ready to say farewell to heavy winter dishes and say hellllooo to yummy, crisp, fresh salads. Like this carrot mango kale salad!
I’m a huge mango fan – on a side note, my boyfriend used to live in Mexico and had a mango tree in his backyard! How lucky was that? It’s a shame I didn’t know him then (and, oh yeah, we were six and I didn’t live in Mexico or know what a kale salad was), but it’s all good, because mangoes have arrived at the store and are ready to be plucked up and tossed in this yummy kale salad.
Sweet, juicy mango steals the show in this salad, but the carrots and crunchy bell peppers compliment it well. Top it off with a tangy pineapple vinaigrette and you have a delicious explosion of fruity spring flavors in your mouth. Plus, it’s super healthy, with lots of vitamins A and C, healthy fats from the cashews and olive oil, and apple cider vinegar for a happy tummy (make sure to buy the brand with the “mother” for optimum nutrients). And I’m not going to call kale a superfood, but it does pack a ton of vitamins A, C, and K into those dark green leaves, as well as a plethora of other health benefits.
It’s quick and easy to put together too, and holds up well overnight so you can make it ahead of time. Perfect for a Spring picnic or barbeque 🙂
- 10 oz bag chopped kale, stems removed (or two large heads of curly kale)
- 3 medium carrots, shredded or ribboned
- 1 ripe mango, diced
- 1 sweet bell pepper, cut in bite sized pieces
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- ¼ cup raw cashews, roughly chopped
- Sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger or ginger paste (or sub ¼ tsp ground ginger)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For bagged kale, remove stems and place leaves in large bowl. For loose kale, wash and remove stems, then cut into bite-sized pieces, then place in large bowl.
- Grind some Himalayan pink salt over kale and massage kale with hands until kale is dark green in color and has softened.
- Add carrots, mango, celery, and bell pepper to bowl.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients in small cup or bowl. Pour over kale, gently mixing to combine. I like to wait a few hours before serving to allow dressing and all the flavors to meld.
- When ready to serve, divide between 2-4 bowls, garnish with chopped cashews and (optional) sesame seeds. Enjoy!
Be sure to tag #odessadarling on Instagram if you make this, I’d love to like and comment on your creations!
What’s your favorite part of Spring?