Do you ever have those days where you just want to be a kid again?
You know, throw aside the responsibilities of being an adult… paying bills… cooking… laundry… and just relish in the simplicity of naptime, watching tv, and someone doing all the other stuff for you?
Yeah. It’s been one of those weeks. One of those, I-don’t-wanna-go-to-work-can’t-I-just-stay-home-and-watch-the-oc weeks.
Unfortunately, while we can’t revert back to kindergarten, you can treat yo’self to a classic peanut butter and jelly sandwich… in oatmeal form.
This peanut butter and jelly oatmeal has all the deliciousness of your grade school favorite, minus the yucky refined sugars, empty white carbs, and questionable ingredients on the back of the skippy jar (skippy over jif though, always).
This recipe has complex carbs to keep you full til lunch, is naturally sweetened with berries, and packs a little protein punch with the peanut butter. Going to work won’t seem quite so bad after a big bowl of these delicious oats. With a mug of coffee or tea on the side, you have the perfect winter breakfast. (It’s December, don’t try to tell me it’s not winter.)
Just look at that delicious peanut butter drizzle! How could anyone not think these look amazing??
On a side note. I’m dating someone who doesn’t like peanut butter. What. I didn’t even know that was possible until we started dating. Who doesn’t like peanut butter?! Ah well, I guess. More for me.
My advice to get through the week? Savor this delicious peanut butter and jelly oatmeal and forget about your adult responsibilities for a few minutes. Go back to sleep if possible.
- ½ cup rolled oats*
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup water (or almond milk)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries (or 1 cup raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries)
- ¼ cup pomegranate aerils
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter, melted
- Sweetener of choice (optional)
- Bring water (or almond milk) and salt to boil. Add oats and chia seeds, turn heat to low, and simmer 5-10 minutes.
- While oats are cooking, microwave berries for two minutes. Set aside.
- Remove oats from heat and add vanilla (and sweetener, if desired). Top with berries, pomegranate aerils, and peanut butter.
Pssssssssst. Tag #odessadarling on Instagram if you decide to have a great morning with these oats.