Hello hello and happy October! Can we talk about the fact that I’ve been waiting for it to be fall since spring and it’s finally fall??? I’m so excited about it you don’t even know, yo. I am so down with all the wonderful things that go along with fall: switching from cold brew back to hot coffee, autumn and winter produce, warm and hearty breakfasts and dinners, snuggling under warm blankets…. My boyfriend and I just got new (matching) fuzzy blankets and we have been in heaven. Also, speaking of hearty fall breakfasts: This sweet potato french toast.
I’ve seen a lot of blog posts and instagram photos floating around with the everpopular avocado toast, but with a twist: baked sweet potato slices replacing the toasted bread for a gluten-free and Paleo friendly breakfast that packs in even more flavor than the original (I mean… how much flavor does bread really have?). I was inspired by the takeover of #sweetpotatotoast on my insta feed to create something that goes one step further: sweet potato french toast. Baked sweet potato slices, baked then dipped in egg and fried in coconut oil for an authentic-tasting french toast breakfast that’s bound to impress even your pickiest eaters. Honestly, once I topped mine with all the goodies I could round up in my house, I couldn’t even tell it wasn’t bread under there! (Although, I haven’t eaten bread in a year, so I could be wrong?)
While this breakfast feels like you’re eating dessert, it’s actually really healthy! Sweet potato pack in Vitamins A, B6, and C, plus potassium. The egg adds protein, and we all know by now that coconut oil is basically magic. With so many options for toppings, you can pick whether you want to go healthy or a little more indulgent with the toppings. I topped mine with a mixed berry compote, toasted coconut flakes, pomegranate aerils, and creamy cashew butter. Holyyyyy yum.
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon coconut oil, divided
- 1-2 eggs (depending on potato size)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Toppings: berries, maple syrup, nut butter, toasted coconut, etc
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Slice sweet potato lengthwise into equal slices, about ¼-1/2" thick.
- Prepare baking sheet by lining with foil.
- Melt 1 teaspoon coconut oil and spread over both sides of each sweet potato slice. Place on prepared baking sheet, spaced evenly.
- Bake 10 minutes, flip potato slices, then bake 10 more minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and set aside. Melt 1 tablespoon coconut oil over medium heat in skillet.
- Beat 1-2 eggs with ¼ teaspoon cinnamon. Dip each sweet potato slice into egg, then place into skillet. Cook 3-5 minutes each side, until golden but not overdone.
- Remove sweet potato french toast slices from skillet and divide between two plates. Top as desired and enjoy!